Thursday, May 5, 2011

Classroom Management

Someone was posting about this last week and I meant to take pictures of what I use and link up, but I kept forgetting to take my camera to school. So I finally snapped some shots today.

I've always had my kids desks arranged in tables and I've always given out table points when tables are following directions or dispalying great behavior. On Fridays the table with the most points got treasure box. A few years ago I started using money instead of points. So now I just give out a penny to the table that does whatever I ask. I also give out coins to individual students anytime- could be while lining up, in the hallway, during reading stations, in the lunchroom, at an assembly, etc. Whenever we line up to travel I'll say "I'm bringing 2 pennies" and my kids know that I'll give them away to whoever is using their best manners. Once a table gets 5 pennies we trade up for a nickel and eventually they can trade for dimes and quarters if they get enough points. And sometimes I give out nickels, dimes, or quarters if I see something that really deserves it. Even individually earned money counts for the whole table though. So just because there's a big trouble maker at that table doesn't mean they'll never earn money.

I hot glued magnets on some play coins and I stick them high on the board so little ones can't mess with them. I only have 2 tables now (we used to have 4).
I keep the coins in this little divided container I found at the thrift store. It needs a cute label on the front. Anyone with cute fonts want to make me one?!

I love this because:
a) it's quick and easy to do- if we're out of the room the kids just stick the coin in their pocket until we return
b) it's teaching counting and trading coins
c) I only have to give away about 5 treasure box prizes per week
d) I can secretly rig it (by giving out a valuable coin) so a table can get treasure box if they haven't had it in a long time!

12 comments:

  1. I'll make you a label! What size? What wording?? :) I'll make a few options, save them as a PDF, and email them to you! :)

    Email me with your preferences:
    iheartfirstgrade@gmail.com

    ~Laura
    www.firstgradeFUNdamentals.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mrs. Scoma, you're awesome!! I've already downloaded your other labels=)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anybody have suggestions for what to call these coins and put on the label?

    ReplyDelete
  4. "working hard makes 'cents'" or "magic money!" hahah okay, both of those are cheesy! I have to sleep on this!

    Hadar

    ReplyDelete
  5. Way cool! Need something FRESH for next year!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like how it encourages them to work together as a "team". Love the valuable coin trick :) My only problem is I keep moving my desks around. I think I will do this next year as I am looping with my firsties and going to second grade. Thanks for the great idea and an awesome blog!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Do you take coins away as well as give them? What do you do for individuals?

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think I have only taken a coin away from a table once ever, so no I really don't unless something big happens.
    For individual behavior reports I send home a daily chart with a happy, straight, or sad face (I have a little clothespin chart in the back of the room). The coins are more postitive reinforcement and that clothespin chart thing is not so much, but it helps me remember who had a billion warnings and finally had to sit out at recess that day

    ReplyDelete
  10. I LOVE this idea! I use coins in my classroom too, each child has a film container that they keep their coins in. This would be great for summer school though, since those film containers are becoming more difficult to find. Thanks for the idea!
    -Rachel
    edlink123.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Thanks for linking up! I like your system! I did something similar with 15 pennies during my student teaching and we had a class store the students could "visit" on fridays. It was a lot of work to plan, but I think it worked well and kept them motivated :)
    ~sarah
    funintitlemath.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Furthermore the ideas contemplated in detail will almost conform to more of the credible facts which are said to be of utmost importance and values. personal statement checklist

    ReplyDelete