Monday, June 6, 2011

Math Work Stations Book Study (Chapter 3)

I can't get my mind off math now that I'm reading this book, I even dreamed about setting up stations last night! It's way too early in the summer to start having school dreams!! Mrs. Parker is facilitating discussions on Chapter 3 of Debbie Diller's Math Work Stations - all about setting up stations and getting started.

I've used Daily 5 for literacy stations for the past two or three years so I plan on using that format to introduce, model, model, model, create anchor charts, allow for practice, then reflect with the kids on what went well and what we need to work on. I also want to have some kids demonstrate the "wrong" way to work in stations. Here's an achor chart format I made (click to download). This is pretty much what I use for my literacy stations too (minus the stamina graph). Just list (or have the kids give suggestions) for what students are expected to do and what the teacher is expected to do.

I've also been thinking about how to map out my math time. I get 60 minutes for math but I think I'll be able to steal another 15 minutes. So I'm planning 30 minutes for whole group that would include calendar, routines, and a lesson. The next 45 minutes would be math stations and small groups. I'd love to pull 3 small groups for 15 minutes each (ideally I can have only three groups, this may mean as many as 7 kids in a group though) and have my kids go to my group plus two 15 minute stations. Here's the rotation I made. I wrote that every child would go to a "Fact Practice" station each day. We have really been trying to focus on building fact fluency so this would be an addition or subtraction station based on their needs.

And finally, I think I've shared my blank lesson plan page for math workshop before but I made a few small changes.

Click Mrs. Parker's button to read her post and link up with your ideas. I love all the sharing going on!
 Learning With Mrs. Parker

11 comments:

  1. Thanks for joining in the discussion. Like you, I had math work station dreams. Yikes! I hardly ever have school dreams.

    I like your anchor chart. Has your school used Xtramath.org to help build math fact fluency? It is a FREE computer based program that can be used anywhere with internet connection. I love the reports it generates. This may be another addition you might want to consider as you set up your math work stations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for that suggestion. I'll have to look into that program!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lol! I have math dreams too! I wonder if we can get a group therapy rate?

    I like how you used the Daily 5 format to support your math stations! SMART! SMART! SMART!
    Mrs. Wills Kindergarten

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE all your shares. Haven't gotten into the planning page stage yet...but definitely thinking of the Teacher and Student Charts.
    Thanks!

    Swamp Frog First Graders

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for your ideas...like you we are trying to focus on math facts too!

    Thank you again!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your plan is FANTASTIC! I wish I had thought of it myself.

    Ms. M
    Ms.M's Blog
    A Teacher's Plan

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your ideas! This will be my first year for math stations and 4th for daily 5. I love your sheet where you have the stamina graph with the chart of expectations! Would you be able to send me a copy of it? Thanks so much! ellenbel5@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. do you have a copy of your read to self graph? i love it! may i send you my email??

    ReplyDelete
  9. With work stations it became pretty easy for the students to regard about every possible fact which is required to be made by the professionals. edit my personal statement

    ReplyDelete
  10. Overall, this post is a fantastic resource for anyone looking to improve their content marketing efforts. I look forward to reading more of your insights in the future!"New York State Divorce Law Spousal Support

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am highly inspired by your writing talents as well as the format of your blog.criminal lawyers in prince william county va

    ReplyDelete