Saturday, April 2, 2011

Vocabulary and Drawing Conclusions

Once again, I'm linking this to Mrs. Patton- check out her great organization week (clearly I like organization- not saying I'm good at it though!).

I thought I'd quickly share how I teach vocabulary to first graders.

One summer I pulled out some of my favorite read alouds, many were seasonal. I have less and less time to read to my kids just for fun so I needed a chance to read these fun stories while tying in some skill I have to teach already.

So I looked through them for quality (Tier 2- if you know what I'm talking about) words. I chose 3 words from each book and if a book just didn't have 3 suitable words I didn't use it. Then I typed the words on cards and I found an online image of the book to print.

I've got them organized in a storage crate (in the order I will use them all year) and each week I just pull out the next book and its word card and picture card. I introduce the 3 words, give definition and examples, we discuss a little, then I read the story and they listen for the words. Then I post them on our vocabulary word wall. As a bonus, I tried to choose books that I also had on CD so I could then put the book in my listening station.

I've used this for 3 years now and the kids love it! And even better, they often use these words (correctly) in conversation and if ever see the word in another book they always say "Hey, that's one of our old vocabulary words!"

Here's our vocabulary word wall so far this year:
Click any of these photos to download the vocabulary book pictures cards that I use on my word wall. I've put the entire vocabulary packet, with word cards, the books list, words and definitions, and a few printable activities in my TpT store, click here if you are interested, and thanks!




I also wanted to share this game I made for our reading comprehension skill this week, drawing conclusions.

I made clue cards for my kids to practice listening for details and after each detail they are asked to draw a conclusion as to what the object is, the topics are foods, jobs, and animals. I made enough clue cards to play three games without repeating any. And there are different point cards if you want high values (make your kids work a little harder to figure out their score!) There's also a sheet for the kids to write their conclusions and keep up with their own score.

I designed it to be played like a jeopardy game. I've played Phonics Jeopardy with my kids and they always love it, so I made one for this skill as well.

I've uploaded the game on my TpT store if you want to check it out. It's easy to make, just print and cut.
Click either picture to go to TpT and you can download a preview. Thanks!


Happy Saturday!

9 comments:

  1. Any chance you might share or sell those vocabulary cards? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I agree with Mrs. Magee above. I see several of the books that I read as well and would love to purchase them. (BIG HINT)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks girls! I hadn't even thought about sharing them since you may not have the same books. But they are mostly common books that you or your library would probably have. Most of them are Scholastic book order books (that I got with CD's). Let me look on my computer files at home. I have to run to school today, so if I remember I'll check there too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE your vocabulary idea! Awesome! I second (ahem-- third) the request for you to share or sell them!
    Brenda
    Primary Inspired

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the vocabulary! I use storytown as well, but I do not really like their vocabulary they include!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this idea. What a great way to get some of those tier 2 words in! Thank for sharing this great idea. I'm a new follower. Glad I found you : )
    Bethany
    The Bubblegum Tree

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just purchased your fabulous vocabulary word set from TPT but can't get the book cover pictures to download from your site. I would love to have them to accompany your set. Any suggesttions?

    Thanks!

    Cory

    ReplyDelete
  8. Vocabulary and drawing conclusions have been well initiated here and those ideas are almost concerning towards every possible guides which have been mentioned here. grade my thesis

    ReplyDelete